NewDelhiTimes
New Delhi Times is one of those films.
I watched this 1986 political thriller on YouTube, and honestly, I was surprised by how relevant it still feels.
The film follows Vikas Pande, played by Shashi Kapoor, an editor of a newspaper who gets drawn into a political murder investigation. But the story soon becomes much bigger than the murder itself. Politics, media, power and corruption slowly start coming together.
What I liked most was the writing.
The screenplay is tight and compact. There is hardly any unnecessary drama. The film knows what story it wants to tell and doesn't spend time trying to impress you with unnecessary twists.
For almost two hours, I was hooked. And that's not something I expected from a film made almost 40 years ago.
The performances work equally well. Shashi Kapoor is excellent, but what I particularly liked is that the supporting cast doesn't feel like it is simply there to support the hero. Sharmila Tagore, Om Puri and Kulbhushan Kharbanda all add to the film.
But the real reason I would recommend New Delhi Times today is its subject.
You watch it and keep noticing how little some things have changed.
The way politics, business and media interact. The pressure around information. The difficulty of staying independent when powerful interests are involved.
The technology may have changed. The speed of news may have changed.
The platforms may have changed. But the basic questions haven't.
And perhaps that is what makes this film more than an old Hindi political thriller.
For me, New Delhi Times is a must-watch not because it is a classic from the 1980s, but because it still manages to make you think about the world around you.
Almost 40 years later, that is quite something.
#NewDelhiTimes #ShashiKapoor #Gulzar #PoliticalThriller #HindiCinema #MovieReview #ClassicCinema #IndianCinema #MediaAndPolitics

Comments
Post a Comment